Skip navigation
Banner: AutoMotix

Contract: Login Login / Search

1960 Rambler Custom Auto Transmission Dipstick Needed

I recently bought a 1960 Rambler Custom with automatic transmission. The dipstick for checking the AT fluid level is missing. Any ideas where I might get one?
Back to the top

The Borg-Warner transmission used in these models is the same one being used by Ford at the time.  I would guess that an early Falcon or Galaxie might use the same stick and should be easier to locate than an AMC piece.
-mike
Back to the top

Let me look on my '62 Classic. It has the BW automatic and I'll see what shape it's in. I'm, eventually, removing the entire drivetrain for a 4.0L/open driveline set up and won't need the old parts. Does your car have the 196 engine or is it a V8? If it's a V8, I don't think it will work (my Classic had the 196 OHV engine).

"I got Ramblin' Fever in my Blood"- Merle Haggard<br />"Don't mess around with any o' Ramblin' Man"- Waylon Jennings
Back to the top

Mine has the 196. Thanks.
Back to the top

I did look at the dipstick on my Classic. It has surface rust but will clean up nicely. I'll snap a picture of it for you.

"I got Ramblin' Fever in my Blood"- Merle Haggard<br />"Don't mess around with any o' Ramblin' Man"- Waylon Jennings
Back to the top

Ok here's the dipstick photos. It should work for your car no problem.

Back to the top

the filler tube on my 1960 Custom looks quite different. It runs downward at maybe a 75 degree angle running straight toward the rear of teh car for about 12 to 14 inches. Do
you think your dipstick would fit?

Many thanks!
Back to the top

jjdaniel said

the filler tube on my 1960 Custom looks quite different. It runs downward at maybe a 75 degree angle running straight toward the rear of teh car for about 12 to 14 inches. Do

Many thanks!

Just measure the lengths from cap to tip and the graduation marks could be measured also. Dipsticks bend quite nicely and will follow the tube.
David

On second thought……
Back to the top

jjdaniel said

Many thanks!

I don't know. There's only one way to find out unfortunately. If you want to try it, PM me and we'll figure something out. Be patient with me too. I'm having internet problems and can only get online every once and awhile.

Back to the top

Hey, jjdaniels, it will be $18.60 total for the dipstick and shipping. Send me a personal message if you want it.

Back to the top

I'd very much like it. Should I send you a check or do you have the ability to take other forms of payment? Whatever you prefer.

Many thanks!
Back to the top

Hey, I got your paypal payment. I will try to get it mailed out Monday but I may not have a chance because I have jury duty. If not Monday then Tuesday if I don't have to show back up at the court house. I'll let you know when it's in the mail.

Back to the top

The dipstick is on the way. Should be there thursday.

Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.