Skip navigation
CRMB Banner Small

Contract: Login Login / Search

AMC Electric Vehicle Prototype - Fuel Prices !$*@!&$#

AMC Electric Vehicle Prototype - Fuel Prices !$*@!&$#

Since the price of gas is dominating the national news, people are scrambling for alternatives. The funny thing is that AMC already had an electric car. Always ahead of their time…the 1967 3 passenger AMC Armitron electric car prototype.

The Strange and Cool AMC Rambler Prototypes
There is talk of making an AMX/3 reproduction as an electric vehicle.
Tom
amx390.com

I love AMX/3's
Back to the top

Re: AMC Electric Vehicle Prototype - Fuel Prices !$*@!&$#

Yes, that is one I'd like to see more about.  I've seen the small color pictures over at arcticboy, and it looks very interesting.  Is it similar to a CitiCar?
Back to the top

along these lines, I saw an electric Concord on ebay recently….Solargen was the company that made them, there's even unique parts they used that are listed in the AMC parts catalog, so I guess it was something AMC supported at the time….here's the link to the listing…
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NO-RESERVE-Prototype-Electric-car-51-miles-since-1980_W0QQitemZ320262521627QQihZ011QQcategoryZ5357QQssPa

1983 Spirit GT
2005 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
Back to the top

Yes, that car was relisted as the first buyer did not follow thru.  According to info from the current owner the electric motor is coupled to an AMC auto trans.  He is not a car guy and could not provide a lot of technical info.

AMC Eagle Evolution Forums and Wiki http://forums.amcevolution.com/index.php
Back to the top

Route said

Yes, that is one I'd like to see more about.  I've seen the small color pictures over at arcticboy, and it looks very interesting.  Is it similar to a CitiCar?

I believe Motor Trend ran a color photo on their cover. IIRC the car was red. Wonder if it still exists?

Visit the 1977 Hornet AMX Registry at CarNutDirect.com
Back to the top

I received this bit of e-mail from Garry Nordstrom just before Christmas:

I am the owner of a 1979 Concord electric car developed and designed by
Solargen. It has 491 actual miles. This car was a personal demo car of the
owner of Solargen. In research done by University of MN Duluth, it appears
that it is the only concord that is titled in any of the 50 states, as an
electric car. The last one that recently sold on e-bay was offered to me but
I declined. The car was sold…all electrical removed and they installed a
258 6 cylinder automatic trani.

It is presently in restoration as the lower door frames, due to rain and
being in storage for many years prior to us buying it, have rusted and I
need to locate a source for the doors and also would like a source for
exterior trim parts. (any and everything to replace).

Your help would be greatly appreciated. My goal is for it to be placed in an
AMC museum.

Best regards,
Garry Nordstrom

Hello, Garry, thanks so much for writing us about this.

A post and some pictures or documentation would draw some more interest here, and some of our Members are quite knowledgeable on some of these little-known AMC's.

If you don't wish to make a post, please send any photos you have to my e-mail, and I will get them posted on the site.

It should be possible to generate quite a bit of interest on this subject, on this particular Forum.  And that's the way you find the people who know.

The AMC Forums, at The AMC Forum, American Motors Discussion Forums and the American Motors Forum at American Motors Forum are two places with a very high traffic factor for AMC cars, but both forums focus heavily on Javelin, AMX, showing and performance, and to a lesser degree, the Ramblers and big cars, rather than on history.  Interest in the Concord is low in these places, but the unique nature of the project and the sheer traffic and knowledge base is valuable at both places.

Another very good forum for American Motors is the AMC Eagle Nest Forums, at AMC Eagle Nest Forums - Index

The Concord, Eagle and Spirit shared many trim details.  Some Eagles have that oval-shaped chrome surround at the license plate area on the rear of the car.  Eagles were far more plentiful than the Concord, expanding your parts horizons by that much more.  Many seats, dashboard and other trim parts are the same or will interchange between Concord, Eagle and Spirit.  Seat bottom frames from the Eagle will not bolt into any of the other cars, due to a shorter inboard leg to clear the raised area of the floor in the Eagle for the transfer case.
Therefore seat parts are limited to hardware, covers, foam, springs, seat back etc.  But the bottom of the seat frame from an Eagle will not work on another model.

All of these small cars, the Gremlin, Spirit, Hornet, Concord, Eagle, used the same windshield, from 1970 through 1988. Some early ones have rubber gaskets, but yours will be easily replaced, as the later ones from about '74 up are all the adhesive type. Here in Phoenix they cost around 150 bucks all done, and drive it out.

All of the small car doors are identical in design, except 2 door/4 door differences. But the later doors are of slightly different, lighter construction, and some include the side-impact beam.  But all have identical sizes and styling features, such as the indented "stripe" at the top of the fenders and doors.  There is a difference in pin/bushing diameter between the early and late period door hinges, it changes around '78-'79.  Sometime in there is also a change to the remote mirror control where they began riveting in a brace for it that gets in the way sometimes, with cables or glass.

All of the front clips will interchange, but there are styling differences at the leading edge, beginning for your purposes in 1978.  Some had round headlights during this time, and some had rectangular.  That might require drilling a fender to mount your proper headlights, for instance if you have a Concord with round headlights and a fender from a later Eagle with double rectangular headlights.

All of the interior plastic surround for the windshield and pillars, dash etc. are the same beginning in 1977 with the Hornet and 1978 for the Gremlin, and are the same for all the later cars, whether Concord, Spirit or Eagle.

Complete dash assemblies will interchange, but there are obvious styling differences between the pre-78 designs and the later ones.  I include this information in case you've got an old Hornet or Gremlin you want to put on the road.  The old dashboards are hard to find, and later ones can be substituted to gain a functional car.

The only dash component that will interchange between early and late is the small trim piece under the steering column(and not all of those), and the package tray under the dash.  Early models had round A/C outlets, later they were square.  Ashtray I believe is also the same throughout.

Headliners will interchange between similar body styles, but the earlier ones are pressboard, and the post-77 ones are foam/velour.

All side marker lights will interchange from 1973-1988 on the small cars. Some Concords and Eagles shared the same chrome piece down the center of the hood.  The hood ornament was different for each, however.

I am interested in starting an AMC museum in the "living history" form, as an old AMC/Rambler dealership, somewhere along Route 66.

Let me know if you need any more info, and please join our discussions at The AMC Heritage Forum.

I am looking forward to seeing this car when it is restored.

Thanks so much for writing, Garry.

-mike
Back to the top

I remember the blue Concord from eBay. As I recall it was somewhat weathered but had very low miles and plastic still on the seats.

Visit the 1977 Hornet AMX Registry at CarNutDirect.com
Back to the top

I am glad to see Gary got this information over here.  Nice reply Mike.  Perhaps he will join the Nest too as we have a small but growing number of Concord owners there too; and of course they are welcomed there too.

Back to the top

The Concord Nest??
Back to the top

At times it is the Concord Nest.  Too many shared items to not let Concord/Spirit folks be a part of the fun.

Back to the top

The Concord Covey.... ;D

1983 Spirit GT
2005 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.