Skip navigation
Banner: AllPosters.com Custom Posters and Vintage Art

Contract: Login Login / Search

1970 Jeep Bivouac Camper

1970 Jeep Bivouac Camper

This is an ad from the October, 1969 Arizona Outdoor Sportsman Magazine, showing a Jeep CJ5 with the Bivouac camper.  I missed out twice on e-Bay, trying to bid for the brochure for one of these things…
mike

1970 Jeep Bivouac Camper

Last edit: by Route 66 Rambler

Back to the top

Re: 1970 Jeep Bivouac Camper

I wonder how stable that was?
Back to the top

It would depend on how you loaded it with cargo etc., but it really wasn't too bad.  There is a small "pusher" axle under the rear overhang, so that stabilized it quite a bit.  You used to see a lot of these on the Randall American lot, over where they sold the boats.  And up in Northern Arizona, where I grew up, come hunting season, there could be two or three on various CJ's all in one outfitter's parking lot.
mike
Back to the top

I don't ever remember seeing one.  Maybe a regional thing?
Back to the top

Maybe it was just for the Mountain States, or something.  I've seen many in the desert southwest, including Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, California.  Just saw one in traffic yesterday, which is why I posted this in the first place.  But I don't recall ever seeing one out in the plains states I visited frequently as a kid, Texas, Arkansas or Oklahoma.  Nor in the Pacific Northwest in the 80's, either.

Are any of you people out there the ones who outbid me on e-Bay for the information on this Jeep camper?  If so, how about a little idea what's inside of that brochure, and a picture or two would be nice, too…  :-[
mike
Back to the top

At one time there was a camper on an FC150 chassis, don't know if it was a factory built or home grown. It floated around the county here for several years, but have not seen it lately.
                                                                    Eddie
Back to the top

I saw an FC Jeep like that out here at PIR for the last race that was in town, for the National Association of Stock Car Auto Reckers…  I'm wondering if it wasn't built on one of these FC stakebed trucks:

Back to the top

Mike,
      Those could have maybe conversion by some company, the one I spoke of is the only one I have ever seen.
                                                          Eddie
Back to the top

I would love to check one of these campers out.  They look really cool. 
Back to the top

If you can find a side view of that, I'd like to see it.
Back to the top

This is another couple of ads from the same magazine:

Maybe some of those Bivouac campers I remember were sitting here, instead of Randall Rambler.  This place would be 5-10 miles from Randall, all of that through the city.  This ad mentions Universals and Campers, side by side:

On the other hand, this advertisement here shows that Randall was serious about courting the performance and recreational crowd.  The truck is pictured on the Southwest shore of Roosevelt Lake, the reservoir held by the Roosevelt Dam on the Salt River, named for Theodore Roosevelt, and the largest masonry dam of its time.  I'm surprised Randall missed the opportunity to portray the truck attached to one of their boats.  AMX, I'll post these into the Lost Dealership Project to get Randall on the record over there…

mike
Back to the top

rmedon said

If you can find a side view of that, I'd like to see it.

I just bought three Jeep items off of e-Bay, and one of them is this sheet here.  This is the picture from e-Bay, so I'll have to wait till it gets here to really see much.  But the carrier axle under the camper's rear overhang is clearly visible.  Also you will notice that since it has an axle, it only requires two jacks, located at the Jeep/Camper overlap.

This isn't the same brochure as the ones that I was bidding on and lost at, before.  This one is Pre-AMC, from about '66 or '67, and those others were AMC full photocolor prestige ones, post-1970.
mike
Back to the top

Here's another look, from a 1969 brochure.

Back to the top

my dad sold one to a gentleman and he drove it from lisbon ohio to alaska so they were around just not very many were sold

90 Jeep Comanche LB custom paint custom rear bumper J20 front springs under the rear Grand Cherokee Coils and Lift Pucks under the front with 4.0 Litre six and automatic with command trac 4x4<br /><br />Lewton's Jeep Sales and Service <br />121 nelson ave Lisbon Ohio 1947-1987
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.