Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Card Stock Dealership

Card Stock Dealership

Some AMC'ers collect die cast cars and then put them in a diormama.  There is a method model railroaders use to make inexpensive buildings for background models or when the building is not the "star".  It is called cardstock (or paper folding) modeling.  Most die cast cars are a nominal 1:64 scale which is also known as S scale in model railroading.  Unfortunately, S scale is not as popular as other scales and unless you scratch build your buildings finding what you want in a kit is hard to do.  So I have designed a simple AMC Dealership that is appropriate for the 1970 model year foward.  Below is what I have gotten done so far.  If you print this out on 8 1/2 X 14 heavy stock it will get you a start on your own diorams

So far I have four walls now, but no roof.  I did this on serif draw which is a freeware drawing program.  Which you can find here Serif DrawPlus 4.0 - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

If you download that program and want my files I will send them to you in an e-mail.  That way you can tweak what I did, add additional graphics, etc.  Or design a building of your own.

Click to enlarge

Back to the top

Re: Card Stock Dealership

This is great!  Now I'll have a place to park all those JL's and Fresh Cherries…

I want to do a 3d AutoCAD rendering of the dealership in Bilsland, Iowa that we have listed in The Dealerships.  It's just a classic example of a rural/small town big-size AMC dealer.  Anywhere near there, Doug?  Maybe get me some pics of the back sides?  This little drawing here looks a lot like that place…

Serif has great software of all kinds, even their demos are good stuff.  Registration is cheap on their stuff, and it's all top notch, feature-wise.
mike
Back to the top

Thanks Mike.  I have no idea where Bisland is, never heard of it.  I will have to take a look at the map.  Yes, for freeware its pretty good just takes a little practice to ge the hang of it and I have not even tried the fancy stuff.
Back to the top

OK, I see Bisland is in Sheldon.  Far NW Iowa.  Probably a 175 mile drive.  Yes, I need to add some stone to the front of the building and perhaps along the other short wall along with a larger window.  I may tweak the file so that it can be printed on 8 1/2 X 11 card stock which is easier to find.  Or you can print it on regualar paper and then afix it to card stock with "stick glue" I have had good success doing it that way.  You just have to make sure you get good coverage.
Back to the top

Stonework added to the front (some on the side too, but that is not finished yet).

Back to the top

This is a great idea for a quickie, Doug.  A paint program can allow you to get very detailed, if you want to.  This kind of thing could be printed out in just about any size, on all kinds of material.  Maybe kids playhouse size on that corrugated plastic that looks like cardboard or something.  Use it for a pattern on 4x8 sheets of material, and make it life size! bwoo hoo haa ha ha.  Great idea for a show display, maybe a club display with member's cars as the stock on the lot, with the expensively restored AMX's in the showroom.  ;D
mike
Back to the top

I assembled one.  To see what needs tweaking. Some modifications will be to cut down the tabs a bit; make them the same color as the wall they are on and then insert them into the adjoining wall thru tabs tha will be added to them.
Back to the top

I also design cardstock dealerships

My designs can be found at Paper Model Blog
Enjoy (Most are Studebakers, but there will be some AMCs soon).
Back to the top

I heartily recommend this blog... :thumbs:
Back to the top

Thank you very much

Thank you very much! I hope you enjoy building my models.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.