Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

VAM Jeeps in Mexico

VAM Jeeps in Mexico

Interesting web site.  Especially the part about VAM Jeeps using AMC motors before AMC owned Jeep. I am not too sure how stuffing the 282 into an XJ evolved into the 4.0 ???  Also some nice links to some vintage AMC Heritage images/ads.

Jeeps in Mexico on The CJ3B Page

AMC Eagle Evolution Forums and Wiki http://forums.amcevolution.com/index.php
Back to the top

Re: VAM Jeeps in Mexico

I think they are referring to the 4.0 model, or the availability of a big six in the little XJ, it's just not worded well.
mike
Back to the top

No, they mean what they say! Well, I haven't read the site yet, but from what I just read here that's what I'm getting.

The VAM people stuffed a 282 in the XJ. The 4.0L wasn't out, and a 4.2L "wouldn't" fit in the XJ. The story I got from a former Jeep engineer is that one of the main designers of the XJ didn't like the antiquated AMC I-6 (this is curca 80-83) and intentionally designed the XJ engine compartment a few inches too short for the I-6. Don't know how he got past the AMC board with that, but I know you can't drop the inch or so shorter 4.0L in a 84-86 XJ/MJ – even the 4.0L is at least an inch too long, and there's not an inch to be had!  The VAM guys didn't want to import the GM 2.8L V-6 – drove their costs and taxes on the vehicle up (higher taxes due to less % manufactured in Mexico). So they looked it over and cut the firewall out right behind the engine and welded a recess in, along with a minor rearrangement of under dash stuff. I don't know if they took it to Kenosha or just showed it to some AMC execs who were visiting, but someone realized AMC could save some money by using the I-6 as well, so they put AMC engineers in touch with Renault EFI engineers and quickly came up with the 4.0L. I think the original designer had left AMC by that time, but can't recall. In any event, it was a hit!

Frank Swygert
American Motors Cars Magazine
www.amc-mag.com
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.