Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

AMC SIX Mod & Performance Thread

AMC SIX Mod & Performance Thread

I found this while searching for someTorqueflite 904 info and I figured it might help some one out if they need some info on the AMC six cylinder. It's mainly 258 stuff but there is some 232 and 199 info near the end of the thread.
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=96225

"I got Ramblin' Fever in my Blood"- Merle Haggard<br />"Don't mess around with any o' Ramblin' Man"- Waylon Jennings
Back to the top

Re: AMC SIX Mod & Performance Thread

cool tec tips, that guy is realy into them 6's …thanks for posting.
still can't figure what year my 232 is  block # is 306E12 any help ??
Back to the top

I know it's old but….

306E12 decodes to:

3 = year. This is tricky! The year code started with 1 for 1959 and counted up from there. It repeated with 1 for 1968 (no zero was used) and again for 1977. 1979 was 3, but the code changed in 1980. Zero was used and the year code became the last digit of the year (0 = 1980, 1990, etc.). Still repeated though! So 3 is 1961, 1970, or 1979. There was no 232 in 61 so that leaves us with 70 or 79.
06 = month engine was built, June.
E = 70-79 232/1V
12 = 12th day of June

Sometimes the letter code (which is not always the same as the VIN engine code!) is the indicator as to what the year is, but in this case it doesn't help at all! There are two ways to identify whether the engine is a 70 or 79. Easiest is to pull the breather or oil fill cap off the valve cover and look inside to see if it has shaft rockers or bridged rockers. Assuming it has the original head shaft = 1970. The only other way is by the block casting number (or head casting number). So you have to know a little about the engines themselves to fully decode the year.

Frank Swygert
American Motors Cars Magazine
www.amc-mag.com
Back to the top

Also, wouldn't a '70 232 have the starter on the driver's side where the '79 would have it's starter on the passenger side???

AMC Eagle Evolution Forums and Wiki http://forums.amcevolution.com/index.php
Back to the top

Digging up an old post, I'm pretty sure my 232 is a 1970 the starter is on the driver side..  would you agree on it being a 1970.
Thanks  ….
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.