Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Great Gas Stations

Great Gas Stations

Besides AMC dealerships, I also try to photograph vintage and derelict gas station buildings when I find them. Here are a few from around northeast Ohio. More to come…

The first station is located just south of Hinckley, Ohio (famous for the return of the buzzards), the second is near Wadsworth, Ohio and the third was photographed near Canfield, Ohio not too far from the fairgrounds. I'll have to see if this one is still standing.

Visit the 1977 Hornet AMX Registry at CarNutDirect.com
Back to the top

Re: Great Gas Stations

The higher ups here in Lubbock, Tx would of had those cool old stations knocked down years ago. Cool to see some old gas stations still around. Me being a child of the '80's, it's neat to see how things were back in the day. Keep the pictures coming and with the pink AMX pulled up there like you are getting gas  ;).

"I got Ramblin' Fever in my Blood"- Merle Haggard<br />"Don't mess around with any o' Ramblin' Man"- Waylon Jennings
Back to the top

This is a great idea.  We still have several around here too.

AMC Eagle Evolution Forums and Wiki http://forums.amcevolution.com/index.php
Back to the top

There's a Gulf gas station in Coraopolis Pa. that is still open & has to date to the '30's. It appears to be little changed. They use a 50's vintage Willys Jeep CJ to plow snow. Next time I'm in the area I'll get some pics.  Scott
Back to the top

Great idea, I should get some pics with the car. Some of these places may already be gone though since I shot most of them about 15 years ago. Here are a few more roadside gems from Ohio:

The first shot was taken in 1994 near Lancaster, Ohio just north of the Fairfield County line. The second one was just north of the Medina County line on State Rd. The third shot is from Seville, Ohio and this one still looks the same today.

Back to the top

A few more roadside treasures I've found. The first one with the old Ford (?) in front is downstate somewhere and the white pillar station is out east as I recall, you'll just have to find these for yourself! I shot the Sunoco station in Shreve, Ohio. Look how cheap gas was in 1992!  >:(

Back to the top

Eagle Kammback's latest posting reminded me that I haven't added any vintage gas stations lately. This one was located not too far from American Parts Depot in West Manchester, Ohio. I was suprised to see Sinclair signage as I hadn't seen any of these since they all changed to ARCO when I was a kid. I'm not sure what became of ARCO, it must have changed to something else.

Back to the top

I saw a Sinclair somewhere out in the country recently.  I haven't been more than 40 miles from my house in quite a while, so it's around here somewhere.  Now I've got to find it.
Back to the top

A couple more roadside relics from the Buckeye State:

I photographed this Gulf station in Lodi, Ohio in 1992

And this tire store south of Shreve, Ohio also in 1992

Back to the top

I like the tire store one a lot...
Back to the top

I ran across this unusual one-pillar station (now a pizza place) near Rittman, Ohio this week. It's only about 25 minutes from home but I had never seen it before!

Back to the top

That's a pretty little place.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.