Skip navigation
CRMB Banner Small

Contract: Login Login / Search

64 American 440H project car

64 American 440H project car

Hi guys, newbie here, been lurking in on the side lines for a while and decided to jump on in…  pictures speak a thousand
words so I hope they can tell some of the story.. I's been love and hate… keep it or sell it.. finish it or crush it..
well I'm still working on it..  I hope to have it running by the end of summer…  grey car is the project, red car was the parts car..  232 motor BW auto 3spd..

motor ran good and tranny shifted well after we blew the mouse house out of the muffler. ha ha..
had to run it with a gas can under hood and and elec fuel pump, tank was full of rotton gas and fuel pump was shot

time to start on the rust, rot, cancer remove and replace.. firewall,toe panel, floors

both qtr/pnls will need patches too

took these just for fun, with old set of Cragars

and these are the wheels I'll be using, off of a Ford Ranger five star steel..

I like your site seems more friendly than some of the others out there, I'm not a perfectionist or a purest I just would like to keep one more ol car on the road..  hope you guys will help from time to time, never been this deep into a car project before
440H… ;D

Back to the top

Re: 64 American 440H project car

Thanks and respect for tackling one of these old Ramblers.  Not a lot of 'em seen nowadays.  It can be intimidating, but with a Technical Service Manual, a lot of reading, thought, courage and patience(not to mention big doses of elbow grease), you will get there.  ramblinfsj's project is a good one for you to follow, I know you like what he's doing.

We will of course help with suggestions, advice, know-it-all crap etc. but especially with encouragement.  It's so much easier to just grab a Chevy II and a torch.  These cars take love of the style, love of the design elements, and a dedication to what you are doing.  The rewards aren't just reserved for your own self satisfaction.  Show up at a show in a decent AMC and you will get respect.  The Big 3 guys will rib you, but they know it's not as easy with an AMC, and there will always be some envy and respect from those guys.  Plus, all old car guys like the rare ones, and we start out with cars that in most cases are more rare than their "special editions" are.

Good Luck.  We'll be right here.  I added a little Rambler Mentality to your score for coming in out of the cold.  These postings help a lot of other people who we never even know about.  It's a good way to give back to your community and the world.

P.S.  I hope you don't mind, I edited your post a tiny bit to handle some jumbled picture codes.
Back to the top

Having a parts car is always good.  I take it the red one had terminal underside rust?  AMC really did well with the American styling, at least in my opinion.  Thanks for saving one more.

AMC Eagle Evolution Forums and Wiki http://forums.amcevolution.com/index.php
Back to the top

Well it's about time you started a thread here  ;D. I'm afraid to tell you that you can't quit now. You got to much work in it to quit. Nice job on the panel replacement. The firewall repair is impressive. Heck, I just noticed that you removed the whole dash. I should have done that so I could repaint it. Looks like you are ready to paint the inside. I have a little bit of rot in the rear wheel sheetmetal like you. Mine was caused by water getting in the trunk and spilling over into the inner wheelwells. My trunk was rotten. How's your trunk? I like the fact that you are taking the time to weld in new sheetmetal instead of slapping two gallons of Bondo on there like alot of people I've seen. You're doing well so keep at it.

"I got Ramblin' Fever in my Blood"- Merle Haggard<br />"Don't mess around with any o' Ramblin' Man"- Waylon Jennings
Back to the top

Thanks guys and hi to you all too!!  and  yes the Red car was ate up with cancer and paper probs.. ( it had none )
well with my job I work 7 days on for 80 hours then 7 days off and on this set of days off I've been working on the project almost all of them..
Driver side rear qtr panel and inner wheel well rot cut out patches made and welded in then a quick bit of body work just so it would look a little less rough.

same thing with the driver side rear wheel well lip and just in front of the wheel well

Back to the top

Here is a couple more shots of the driver side

when I got the car it had no brakes guy I bought it from said the master cyl was bad, while I was working on the wheel well lip I had to remove the wheel so I took the drum off just to see how they looked, these two broken
parts fell out of the drum, it's all jacked up from grinding these parts up and there is no shoes,or springs of any kind
just the drum and a backing plate..  " the master cyl is bad " anything to make a buck….

also got my fuel tank back from the shop  boiled,blasted,sealed inner and outer $330.00

got the car turned around and next set of days off I'll start on the passengers rear qtr panel

Back to the top

You are good!

Back to the top

I'll second that! It takes alot of patients to do patch work. I myself hate stitch welding. I think you're doing fantastic work!

"I got Ramblin' Fever in my Blood"- Merle Haggard<br />"Don't mess around with any o' Ramblin' Man"- Waylon Jennings
Back to the top

Nice work, and great beer!

Visit the 1977 Hornet AMX Registry at CarNutDirect.com
Back to the top

AMX said

Nice work, and great beer!

Yep, gives your hand that perfect welding motion.

Back to the top

Hey thanks for the kind words guys, and the beer was just a left over empty parts box..
I got started on the passenger side cutting out the bad stuff but I'm back to work now so it will have to wait
until Tuesday before I can get back to it..
  Also stated looking for brake stuff, that's the next step, I want to replace the master and all wheel cylinders,shoes
and all lines. would like to go with disc up front. we will see what happens…
Back to the top

You can unbolt the spindles on the front and bolt on spindles from a later model AMC with disk brakes.  You will need a different master to match the later stuff, and a different proportioning valve, maybe a little re-plumbing.
Back to the top

well on this set of days off I was able to finish up the passenger side quarter panel, had a few delays but all in all
I think it came out O.K. for a home garage job..

and for my next set of days off I'll be starting on brakes..
Back to the top

That did come out nice.

Back to the top

You surely got sheetmetal skills Feral. I wish I was that good. Keep the pictures coming when you start the disc brakes. Excellent work!

Back to the top

Thanks guys, honestly it is still what I would call rough, much more work and sanding before paint
  got lucky with the trunk,lots of surface rust and a few pin and dime size holes but nothing major
maybe a day or two worth of work to patch and fill,and than por-15 coating, than line-x coating.. top off
with spatter paint and call it good.. also got my paint from The Restoration shop the other day.. getting ahead
of myself a little, hell it don't even run yet.
  I started off with  Bengal white body red interior, changed mind when I got a great deal on some black leather
power seats. so I bought the rambler gold color for the body, than we picked up the Pontiac Lemans and that will be
gold with gold interior. so last change and it is frost met light green black interior with black vinyl top..  anybody
need some rambler white or gold 1 gal ea 1/2 off never opened ??  lol

Back to the top

I always liked the '66 Rambler Granada Green.

Back to the top

Is it Rambler white or AMC Olympic White?

Back to the top

It's rambler Bengal white right off there paint chip sheet at the color library.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/default.aspx..
Back to the top

OK, thanks.  IIRC that is a whiter white than what AMC used later on.

Back to the top

Hi guys,well this is what I got done this set of days off..
First I'll start by saying the Scarebird kit seems to be well made and thought out ( I like it ) if the parts from the parts store you go to is a good one you should have no problem..
 COST ???  I shop O'rielly's and they had everything on the Scarebird list and then some except the rotors and brake hoses but they had them within two - three hours. not bad!!  the kit was $199.00 and the rest was $268.00 and that included new disc master cylinder (69 Jav) hard lines,cleaner,paint, and a couple other things that I wanted and was not on the list.. ( Auto Zone was around $410.00 for what was on the list so shop around.
I would say my out the door cost kit and all was $390.00  I had to pay core charges too,no old master cyl,or calipers. keep that in mind…

Back to the top

The rest

Had to do a little cleaning just wire wheel the big chunks off and some shaker paint

I have a little rubbing problem on the backside of thr rotor hub just below where the berring seal is at that shiney
ring rubs the backing plate nuts neeed to remove about 1/16th - 1/8th inch

Back to the top

Crap Man, those are some big calipers! Did they tell you what your minimum sized wheel is going to have to be? Hopefully a 15 will fit. The conversion looks great. I wish I had the money to do it myself but I think it would be overkill for my low horsepower application. Is that your stock American spindle you mounted the rotor on? Are the calipers those Cadillac Eldorado calipers?

Back to the top

They wouldn't happen to do a rear disc brake conversion would they?  What is/was available now is really expensive or from hard to find FoMoCo parts cars.

Back to the top

Ramblinfjs, no they had no recomendations for wheel size,however the stock 14"ers still fit
they are the stock spindles with adapters that slide over them to compensate for the new wheel berring
size and rotor location. just need to make sure your center wheel hole is big enough to fit over the new hub.
parts breakdown is  1990 Chevy Celebrity calipers, 1995 2wd Ford Ranger rotors, 1979 Caddy sevill  15" brake
hoses. along with pads,berrings, and seals for the same..
IowaEagle,  I don't think they have any kits for the rearend BUT and this is a big but, I have read that a 1990 - 92 Ford 2wd Ranger with V-6 has a posi rear end that is the same track as the American maybe even disc brakes. I'll be looking
into this after I'm done with the front..
On another note, Farna told me that the rubbing problem is solved by running the backing plate bolts through
from the front and not the back this will put the heads to the rotor side and not the engine side this way they
don't stick out as far. NO RUB… hope this posting helps someone who may be thinking of doing this… :)
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.